A Sanson business is engulfed in flames as firefighters battle to prevent the blaze spreading to the petrol station next door.
Firefighters were called to Dundas Rd-State Highway 3, near the intersection with SH1, when Passionz Unique Imports and Home Decor caught alight at 5.15pm on Tuesday.
Fire and Emergency spokesman Murray Dunbar said the two-storey building was well-alight by the time the Bulls Volunteer Fire Brigade arrived minutes later.
Early reports indicated one person was injured, but it was unclear how badly, he said.
Police have cordoned off the area and were diverting traffic to give firefighters room to work.
Sanson man Daniel Goodwin spotted the fire on his drive home from work in Palmerston North.
Goodwin and a couple of other passersby rushed to Passionz, and yelled and banged on the windows to alert anyone still inside on the second storey.
He said they kept at it until a neighbour told them the woman who owned Passionz and lived upstairs had got out safely.
By 5.40pm several other brigades, including the air force, had sent reinforcements to fight the fire.